Friday, August 2, 2013

Lust Have it! Brush Set Review

I recently used some of my Lust Have it points to purchase their Brush Set. Full price is $60 for a 12 piece deluxe brush set with cup holder case.


I like the idea of the case as it gives you two cups for storing your brushes everyday, but clip them together and your brushes are nice and contained for travelling.

The main reasons I purchased these are because I've been in love with my LHI Kabuki brush ever since it arrived in my January Box. The Kabuki is an eco-friendly synthetic brush that I use daily, for both wet or dry product.
The 2nd reason, {besides using my points and only paying $26 for this set} is that my current brush collection is limited and made up of quite a few e.l.f brushes; and lately I've been finding these quite harsh around my eye area.


The LHI Brush Set contains the following brushes.. {not in order in photograph}
  • Foundation Brush
  • Large Powder Brush 
  • Small Contour Brush 
  • Small Duo Fibre Brush
  • Eyeblender
  • Angled Eyeshadow Brush
  • Flat Angled Eyeshadow Brush
  • Fluffy Eyeshadow Brush
  • Flat Eyeliner Brush
  • Eyeliner Smudger Brush
  • Eyeliner Brush
  • Travel Lip brush

I will gripe that neither the LHi Logo or Brush names are stamped on the brushes {nor the cup holder thingy}. For a brush novice like myself... I sorta had to guess. Come on LHi! Even my $2 e.l.f and essence brushes have names printed on them! Major downer!

{ *Flat Angled Eyeshadow Brush *Angled Eyeshadow Brush *Flat Eyeliner Brush *Eyeblender *Fluffy Eyeshadow Brush}
{ *Small Duo Fiber Brush *Large Powder Brush *Small Contour Brush *Foundation Brush}
{ *Eyeliner Smudger Brush *Eyeliner Brush *Travel Lip Brush}
Did I get them all correct? If you think I've mixed any of them up please let me know!! I wanted to give you all my reactions and thoughts to each individual brush...

Large Powder Brush - this sheds. Like someone's black cat just rolled on my face! Very disappointing. I actually emailed LHi about this and the Duo Fiber brush and have since been sent replacements. I still find hairs all over my face.. let me use if for a while longer and I'll get back to you.

Foundation Brush - I don't really like these types of brushes as a whole, 'painting' my makeup on isn't something I do, perhaps after some trial and error I'll be an expert! No loose bristles, soft and not too bad :)

Small Duo Fiber Brush - The black fibers of this brush fell out more so than the Large Powder Brush. As mentioned above I have been sent a replacement and the replacement doesn't seem to not be losing any fibers. I'm not actually sure that this brush is 'supposed' to be used for?? I actually use it to blend in liquid foundation.....

Small Contour Brush - Really dense and super soft. This is great for contouring with Bronzer or adding some blush. I like this one.

Flat Angled Eyeshadow Brush - Little too fluffy for me, need some more practice. I hold it close to the base when applying my shadow out from my outer corner. Soft.

Angled Eyeshadow Brush - Great shadow brush... A+

Flat Eyeliner Brush - I don't tend to use eyeliner that requires a brush such as this.. but it seems ok. I have used it to set liquid liner with some powder shadow and it was again, ok.

Eyeblender - I think this is the white fluffy one? At first I found it a little scratchy but after a few uses, I LOVE this one! Actually, I really like all the eye brushes :) This is great for blending in the crease as the bristles are long enough that you can easily keep your eye open as you blend, great brush.

Fluffy Eyeshadow Brush - I like this one.. I use this initially to 'pat' my eyeshadows in place before using the blender brush to blend them all together :)

Eyeliner Smudger Brush - This is a nice think, dense brush that is really soft. I haven't used this on my eyes.. but did blend some concealer in with it and that worked at treat! :)

Eyeliner Brush - I initially though that the bristles were too soft and would just sort do nothing.... but compared to my e.l.f brush, this one is awesome! Not a brush that I will have a lot of use for, but again it's pretty good.

Travel Lip Brush - I don't even think I own a lipstick brush! Well, I do now. And I love this one! The bristles are really dense and firm, they're soft and not scratchy at all, and I love that you can cover it up. Not sure I'll ever need to take it 'travelling' but a nice addition to this set.


Final thoughts:
{I don't own many brushes to compare these too so this is purely my thoughts on just these products.}

It's plain to see that the container is a take on the Sigma travel holder. And I'm okay with that. I've not yet had the chance to test the durability of the holder, but my clasps click together first time and all the stitching is in tact. :)
I'm disappointed with the lack of labeling... brand and brush names would definitely be better!
I do like all of the eyeshadow brushes, they're all quite soft, the firmer ones are nice and dense.
For someone who is just starting out this is probably a good choice, despite the lack of labeling... these are for the most part, soft and dense. I have been using THIS e.l.f SET which is less than half the cost of the LHi brushes, and varies slightly. I'm happy to now have a few more brushes in my collection because..
a) I don't have to clean them as often :P
b) sometimes I just want to add some light inner corner shadow.. and my brushes are all dark! and
c) I can now have set brushes for set products.

Feedback to LHi is that if you're going to market something as 'Delux'... attention to detail is a must! I'm on the fence as to if I'd actually recommend these. Individually there's some really nice/good brushes, but as a whole.....? I won't be purchasing any of them again so that perhaps is my response in itself? I also now have a heap of cheaper/bargain brushes and I think in the future I'll look at adding some 'better' ones...

Have you tried the LHi brushes? The Kabuki Brush? {Loved it!} Do you prefer your brushes to be labelled?


2 comments:

  1. I'm with you if you are going to sell something as deluxe it should have writing on it.

    I don't know if I would pay full price for this set but with the points it seems like a good deal.

    Jac x0x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm no labeling does sound a bit tacky. I won some brushes from this little online shop in the US and they even printed their label on, I don't see why a large company like LHI can't get up to scratch to be honest! The LHI khabuki brush is still some where in my stash yet to be tested. I use my duo fibre brush for loosing foundation and the small fibre brush for loose powder brush sometimes.

    ReplyDelete