Tuesday, November 18, 2014

DIY Summer Tanning Products

Hey guys, I know it's been a little quiet around here for a few days, so I thought I'd share with you all my current self-tanning products. I like to switch my products up quite regularly, I guess that might make it hard to determine which product works best for me as I usually end up layering them, but my somewhat chaotic routine works for me.


I'll start with my only 'cream' tanner. 
Summer Tan in dark is an olive/green based cream, it comes out scarily dark but with the use of a tanning mitt, goes on seamlessly. I always use a tanning mitt (with the exception of a gradual tanning lotion) to make sure there's no streaks and to get the tops of my feet, backs of my hands, elbows and knees all lightly. Too much in those places and you'll end up looking orange, or dirty! 
Back to the Summer Tan, this has been my tanner of choice over the past 18 months, and I've only this year ventured into newer ones. I love the simple packaging, dispensing is made super easy with the pump - although be careful each time you first use it cause sometimes there is a little drier chunk that you need to be ready for ;) but it's not easy to purchase! I believe mine is actually out of date *hehee* but it's still working for me! If you know where to purchase, please let me know.


As I mentioned the mitt above, (scroll down to see it in a photo) I use the Le Tan application mitts, purely because they're readily available in my local Woolworths supermarket - Model Co. mitts are also in Woolworths but they're usually a couple of bucks dearer so I grabbed the cheaper one. This has a soft velvet-like fabric on the tanning side and just regular old fabric on the other. Inside the tanning side is a plastic like layer to prevent the tanner from staining your fingers inside the mitt. 
They do last a while, I still have my last one and I can see that it's a little worn and I remember the tanner was beginning to go through to my hand inside, time for a new one!


The gradual tanner I've been using (and loving as evident from how much is left in the bottle!) is the Bondi Sands Everyday Gradual Tanning Milk*. Again, the pump packaging makes for super easy application. This is very gradual, it took a few days for me to notice any difference and it was still quite slight. Bonus to that is that it won't stain your hands :) I like to use this on my in-between days, just as a regular old lotion to help pro-long whatever other tan I've used, it may not actually do that, but it's nice and nourishing and smells super yummy - so I do it anyway!


Onto spray tanners, my most recent addition is the Bondi Sands Self Tanning Mist in Light/Medium* - I definitely find this a bit patchy, it doesn't spray all that well, perhaps I got a dud? So if I do reach for this, I've been spraying it both directly onto my my skin and my mitt and applying it that way. It's not very dark (it's a nice green based tanner) so I like to use this about once a week, again just to keep any colour I already have going strong. I would be interested in trying their dark tanner, and the mousse. I find spray products that need to be rubbed with the mitt, are just doubling up my time.  
I also have the Le Tan Instant in Deep Bronze Glow, I recently used this before a day out at the local races. Like the Bondi Sands, I find this patchy when I spray it... perhaps it's just me and spray tans! Haha, truthfully I've discovered at-home spray tans aren't my pick of self-tanners. This one's a little orange, compared to the Bondi Sands.



I also recently used my Le Tan Wash Off in Bronze sample for the first time. I was a little skeptical and a whole lot scared of it in truth :) But... wow. This stuff is pretty cool! Instantly I had a gorgeous matte tanned look. Unlike the other spray tanners, this went on smooth and evenly, I did run my mitt over it just to be sure there wasn't any thicker patches. Perhaps a little muddy on me... I did manage to get a shot (WARNING.. my legs on the www! Don't say I didn't warn you!)  with my camera to show you the instant difference. I'm now interested in trying the Dark Bronze version as this was a little subtle on me. It wore remarkably well. I also used it on my arms, wore a white shirt and noticed no rubbing/staining. It was a hot and somewhat sweaty day, but behind my knees held up well with no obvious running. It was a late night and I literally fell into bed without giving my wash off tan a thought. But the next morning.. wow! It's like rinsing hair dye from your hair! I used a towel exfoliating pad and a little soap and it just washed away. I wasn't left with any streaking, although not all of it was removed.


Please excuse my horrible thong tan lines! I have friends who wear their feet tans with pride, I however think they make my feet look dirty :P Not the prettiest of photos, but I think you can see the difference. If not.. left is the naked leg, right has the wash off tan, it was a lot more noticeable IRL I promise.

So there you have it. I much prefer to do my tanning at home, besides the SummerTan, I'm yet to find my holu grail of tanners, so please leave any recommendations below. I'm going to try a St Tropez tanner when I've used up some of these - any thoughts on that one?



* Received for reviewing, Honesty always.
Summer Tan - ???
Le Tan Application Mitt - Priceline $9.99
Bondi Sands Gradual Tanning Milk - Priceline 375ml $17.99 or 5ooml $19.49
Bondi Sands Self Tanning Mist - Priceline $19.99
Le Tan Instant Priceline $15.49
Le Tan Wash Off Priceline $15.49

No comments:

Post a Comment